Thursday, May 08, 2008

What happened to dreams?

I was reading a note a local student did on facebook - one of those that asks all sorts of questions. This student is one that came to youth group for a short time. As I was reading through the note, the question was asked - "Do you want to get married some day." The answer - "No. I don't want to do that."

I suppose that isn't earth shattering news, but I do remember when I asked students 10 years ago - do you think anyone goes into marriage thinking they'll get divorced - everyone thought that was a bit silly. I think things have changed. It's a sad world where the hope of a committed, loving, relationship with a spouse is not even a dream.

This student comes from a broken home - and a rough home - which doesn't surprise anyone. Things have changed. I try to imagine what kind of relationship this student hopes for or dreams for? And where do kids fit in? What about love? What about trust?

Our society, especially on the younger end, is increasingly unable to live relationally. For all our technological relational helps (texting, cell phones, facebook, email, blogs), I think we are losing the ability to really live relationally. None of the above mentioned things can take the place of a real conversation, face to face. And certainly, in real relationships, you can't just hang up or log off when it gets tough.

I'm not suggesting technology is ruining us. Clearly a huge part of our problem goes back to the break down of the family (and where is the Church in all this?). But I do think our technology is hurting us relationally - at least for deeper relationships.

I haven't thought this through well. I'm just dumping my heart out on here. My heart breaks for this young person.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger Pastor Mark said...

we definitely have family issues in our culture - my prescription for change is to work at it one family at a time, one student at a time, soaked in prayer, informed by God's Word, and beginning with mine.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Nice answer. I need to do lots of praying and thinking on family ministry - cause I lack answers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home