Monday, January 28, 2008

Leading Musical Worship; Paul Baloche DVDs, etc...


I think I first publicly (and privately) admitted how much I enjoyed leading musical worship about 2 years ago. I actually don't do it as often as I used to.

Some of my high school students are going to be leading worship at Hidden Acres this weekend. It's a wonderful chance for them and for me. We're not amazing musicians (in fact, none of us are above average (though some of them may be, some day). It is amazing how the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts. I guess I'm asking for prayer.

Here are a few thoughts on leading worship (and I'll ask some questions at the end).

The most simple principle and its practical ramifications.

Principle: More than anything else, it is imperative that those leading worship are worshiping.
Ramifications:
The obvious - my walk with Christ must be growing - and our team must be spiritually together.
We must eliminate as many distractions as we can.

From a musical standpoint: We must so know what we are doing up there, that we can focus on Jesus (rather than on notes, theory, dynamics, plan, etc...).
SO - we must practice well - and really know what we are doing.

My point - practicing well and having everyone really know what is going on is key.

I just bought some DVDs by Paul Baloche. They aren't as deep as I hoped for, but are very good stuff. My summary of 2 of them.

Worship Band Workshop (or something close to that title) was very good. Summary - dynamics; playing less; not filling the same space (if piano is playing around middle C - guitar should move up higher); metronome; Dynamics!; Less is more

Creating Flow - Summary: Choosing Songs so that they flow together - so there isn't distracting dead time or hard stops. Keys - tempo, key of song, key changes, not ending a song all the time - more fading into the next one.

Do you use a metronome much (personally or in worship practice with the full band)?
What worship resources do you know about that are worthwhile?
How much do you work on flow in worship? What helps you do this?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Pastor Mark said...

I love your blog Tim. Whenever I get a chance to read it and catch up with what you're thinking about, I'm glad I did. Nice work and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really should stop by and read your blog more often Tim.

I appreciate your thoughts regarding worship...simple yet profound and really to the core of the matter. "Those who are leading worship MUST be worshippers!"

I remember EM Bounds talking about the worship once and noted that there are enough concert halls and performances out there. God desires worship. This is not to say we don't want to play skillfully, but there is a great difference in playing skillfully so people will be amazed and think I'm good and playing skillfully becasue we love the Immortal, Invisible, only True God, and want others to be amazed with Him.

Keep the thoughts coming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home