Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Rosebud Visit

I took a few students out to Wood, SD, to visit the kids we work with every summer. We left early Friday morning and returned on Sunday. It was a bit disheartening. The student we had the most hope in tried to commit suicide, stole from a bar, and is now in Oregon for school (probably a good thing). Other students we've known for years have been removed from their homes (some for counseling and a safer home; others because they've started the abusive practices that they formerly endured). So few Native Americans were there.

There was some good. A kid who was gone last summer but who we knew from previous summers was back - and we thought he was doing better. I now have a key to the Native American Community Building (to keep). There were some relationships that were strengthened.

We trust that God, in His sovereignty, still has plans for each student we've spent time with. We plan to head back this summer - and we'll see who God brings our way.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Blogger Mer Stamberg said...

Hey Tim,

I didn't realize you were involved in this Native American ministry. When you get a chance, email me, I would like to hear more about your involvement and experience in it. Marissa and I will be working a lot with native Alaskans in the villages up north.

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tim,
Say hi to Jim & Marissa for me! :)
There's a guy from our church I've maybe mentioned before that has a passion for ministering to Native Indians and wants to talk to me and maybe to you some time, re: Rosebud, etc. I keep forgetting to mention it to you on the phone.
Go Vikes.
Dan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home