Thursday, October 05, 2006

My Thoughts Drift While Praying


Have you ever started praying - and then noticed a bit later that you aren't praying at all but are thinking about some upcoming or past event (daydreaming); then you feel like you are a horrible person for not praying well??? I've done it - very often. But I'm learning something.

I've been saying for some time now that I think it is really important for us to share what's on our mind with God. Usually there are a few thoughts streaming through our minds each day (a big game; a special occasion; a cute girl; a big test; a fight with a friend; a new shirt you just bought...). Of course, we don't tell God about what's on our mind a lot. The assumption is that He doesn't really care about these kinds of things - at least not a lot.

I've been "preaching" to anyone that would listen that we really need to tell God our "little" wants and desires and concerns and exciting events. I'm becoming more and more convinced of this.

An application of this is that next time you catch your mind far away during prayer - tell God all about it - tell him the details of this "insignificant" event. Rejoice in a wandering mind as an opportunity to blab to God everything - and continue praying.

I hope to become a better prayer warrior. Maybe this will help.

IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING WORTH DOING IF YOU CAN DO IT WITHOUT PRAYER?

3 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tim, Interesting you decided to write about this. It has been on my mind lately also. I just go for a prayer walk and say my prayers out loud when I start to daydream while praying. Great lesson last night. Sorry this thing isnt working for me so it is anonymous...hehe chanzy

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger voni said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger voni said...

I was kind of thinking along those lines a few weeks ago. Can resting in the Lord include simply being with him? Enjoying his presence even in the simple and mundane things in life. Found myself saying to God a few weeks ago. Its been awhile. I miss you. I gain strength by simple resting in presence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home