Monday, August 28, 2006

Education and Politics


I suppose it's dangerous to write about one's political perspective - or perspective on education. Even if you don't agree, it's good to think.

I really believe our education system is messed up - big time. One of my favorite modern-day authors / speakers is Dr. Walter E. Williams (of this link). He is an economist and is a amazing (he's black, too). I'm giving you a couple quotes and linking you to his argument for overhauling public schools.

Check out a couple quotes here from Dr. Williams.

"Of 17-year olds taking the test: 47 percent could not express 9/100 as a percent; only 5 percent could calculate the cost per kilowatt on an electric bill that charged $9.09 for 606 kilowatts; 26 percent did not know the U.S. Congress was part of the legislative branch of government; 43 percent of high school juniors could not place World War I within the period 1900 to 1950; 75 percent could not place Abraham Lincoln's presidency in the era 1840-1880"

"... if the Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan wanted to sabotage black academic excellence, he could not devise a more effective way of doing so than the schools serving most black children."

I'm thankful for this great country we live in. Though not perfect, we are so blessed here - more than we know. There is also much that needs to be fixed. With my son now "in the system", I will be more passionate about this issue and others.

2 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tim. I do periodically look at your blog, I just don't comment. Regarding this education & politics, I think plenty thoughts are good, but you've been too one-sided. I'd say the uncountable hurting families (and the #'s of kids doing drugs & addicted to whatever, or depressed, etc) where these less-than-genius students are coming from is a bigger factor on educational stats than whether the schools they're attending are public or private. Also, I think it'd be more believeable if you weren't so soft and weak at Settlers. I beat a pilot (with trophies for some board games he plays) in Cities & Knights on Monday.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Dan - you're humility is astounding - just like Moses'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home