Monday, July 17, 2006

Brokenness


"Brokenness." Here's a word you won't see used positively in this world. To try and write about it is scary - am I so full of pride that I think I have this brokenness thing down? Hopefully not. I guess I just put it on here to invite others to join me on this journey. I am going to preach this Sunday - and a huge part of the message is on brokenness - but I'm scared to even go there. How do you preach it?

Let me highly suggest that you check out the following link. It's from Nancy Leigh DeMoss - Revive Our Hearts - and it's amazing. "The Heart That God Revives - Proud People vs. Broken People."

In case you doubt how brutally good this stuff is, let me give you a couple lines.

Proud people focus on the failures of others, while Broken people are overwhelmed with a sense of their own spiritual need.

Proud people have to prove that they are right, while Broken people are willing to yield the right to be right.

Proud people desire to be a success, while Broken people are motivated to be faithful and to make others a success.

Proud people find it difficult to share their spiritual need with others, while Broken people are willing to be open and transparent with others as God directs.

There's even a study of sorts (but no answers - so it may not be quite as useful as it could be -but is still pretty good). Click here and then click on "Study Outline: Brokenness - the Heart that God Revives". It's great stuff.

Let me know you were here, whether you liked it or not.

1 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Larry Clayton said...

Well, Tim; we noticed and appreciate your comment on Crystal's June 2005 post on the friendly skripture study.

Here are some scattered remarks on brokenness that you might find useful:

In 1974 I attended a class at the School of Christian Living taught by Elizabeth O'Connor. Betty O, as we called her asked for each student to meditate on some natural thing such as a plant and share it with the class. Most of the students chose flowers or trees, etc.

I chose a "happy rock", but I went on to say that I look forward to being broken into something much more useful and happy.

And I was, and am, and look forward to more. God is doing things that are entirely beyond our ability to predict, but we can be sure that what he does will promote our eternal salvation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home