Monday, July 24, 2006

Commitment and Surrender - from Dan Webster

Dan Webster was the Youth Pastor at Willow Creek - when it had 1700 students coming to youth group and 200 adult sponsors. I was privileged to hear him at a retreat on leadership (the character / heart aspects of leadership, not the skills stuff) and this is one part of what he shared. I used it, along with the stuff from DeMoss on brokenness, in preaching on Sunday. I thought some might enjoy it (though "enjoy" may not be the perfect term).

COMMITMENT challenges us to a higher level of determination

SURRENDER calls us to yield our soul to God’s higher purposes

COMMITMENT is me saying that I’ll do better

SURRENDER is giving up and allowing God to do His work through me

COMMITMENT is my best effort

SURRENDER is God’s competency working through me

COMMITMENT is writing big impressive verbal checks

SURRENDER unleashes the grace that can cash them

COMMITMENT is me trying

SURRENDER is me trusting

3 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tracey was here again...

I read the proud people and broken people sheet that you gave me Wednesday night as I was leaving YG. I read it again in your sermon on Sunday, and you're right: I didn't enjoy it mostly because it showed how proud I am. This should perhaps be the focus of my prayer.

Trac

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Tim said...

I am also trying to avoid that sheet. It's brutal. It's a daily thing, thoug - or it's almost worthless.

Tracey - I love it that you take the time to check in on me and my life. You rock!!

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite stops when I'm surfing the web. I love peaking into your thoughts now and again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home