Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Easter Thoughts - Grace



I was reading the Gospel of Mark's account of the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ. Jesus told the disciples that they would all fall away. Peter responded passionately to this statement - 29 But "Even though all may fall away, yet I will not." 30 And Jesus said to him, "Truly I say to you, that this very night, before a rooster crows twice, you yourself will deny Me three times." 31 But Peter kept saying insistently, "Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!" And they all were saying the same thing also. Then Jesus says - not only will you deny me, but you will do it within hours (before the rooster crows 2 times).
Peter than went out and wept bitterly. Can you imagine how low he must have felt? He was the most passionate of the disciples. He was that special friend to Jesus - and he'd not only deserted him in his most desperate hour, but he'd denied him (shortly after saying he'd die for him). I can only imagine that on Sunday morning he was still incredibly depressed - feeling as low as a person could feel.
On Sunday morning, when the women visit, we read - Entering the tomb, they saw a young man sitting at the right, wearing a white robe; and they were amazed. 6 And he said to them, "Do not be amazed; you are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who has been crucified. He has risen; He is not here; behold, here is the place where they laid Him. 7 "But go, tell His disciples and Peter, 'He is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see Him, just as He told you.'"
I don't know if you caught it, but the "young man" has a very personal message. Go tell His disciples AND PETER. [This is the only Gospel that includes that statement about Peter (Mark is writing this - but it is basically Peter's account)]. What a personal and most encouraging message to Peter from Jesus. Mary is told - tell the disciples, but especially let Peter know. What a personal Lord we have. What incredible grace. We have a God of second chances. Actually, we have a God of so many second chances. His grace is amazing.
Enjoy God’s grace this Easter.

2 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger matt said...

Tim,

I've been reminded over and over again that our God is a covenant-keeping God. Through the OT, the word righteous often refers to God's covenant faithfulness. I love that He promises to love us . . . and that His promises never fail

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tim, thanks for giving me that info and your input on Speaking in Tongues...it was very insightful and helpful. I still need to figure out what my take on this subject is but when i do i'll let ya know. Thanks again for being so willing to help with my not-so easy questions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home