Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Coveting - and the Character of God and of Man

I will not repeat my approach and thoughts on the Old Testament and the 10 commandments (so make sure you understand them to understand this). I'm giving you some of the "meat" from my chance to preach Sunday Morning at Hidden Acres. Please note that I believe the 10th commandment (do not covet) teaches everything below and much, much more. The 10 commandments are rich with the character of God. It absolutely blows my mind. Again - I am just giving a brief sketch of this commandment - there is so much more that could and should be said about it.

What does the command not to covet teach about God and man???

The Character of GOD in the 10th Commandment

1. God owns everything. He has to own everything to be able to give it to us. Therefore, I am a steward of all that God has given me. There are many ramifications to this truth.

2. God provides everything - that's why I don't need to covet.

The above was information about God, but let me turn now to the very character of God (to who God is, as compared to what God does or has done)

God is sovereign. Even when Job is told by his wife to curse God and he responds with that statement about being naked from his mother's womb... He says - "The Lord gave and the Lord (NOT SATAN) has taken away. Blessed Be the name of the Lord!" This alone could keep us thinking for a long time.

God is wise. He has to be to know just how to provide for our needs. He does not give randomly or arbitraliy - but as He sees fit. This leads to the truth that God has a personal plan for each one of us (each one of is not to covet - so God must be taking care of each one of us). God's will is exactly what we would want if we knew all the facts (maybe by Gothard??).

God is Good - He is our good father. He'll provide just what we need. Tozer said - "The greatness of God rouses fear within us, but His goodness encourages us not to be afraid of Him. To fear and not be afraid - that is the paradox of faith."

God is gracious (get good things we don't deserve) - not only do we get what we need, but we get sooooo much more than what we need.

God is Jealous. This is the big one. God does not want us to be satisfied with trivial things like power, fame, money, etc... He wants our affections. We are to be satisfied in Him alone - and that is when He is the most glorified (John Piper). I could go on and on right here.

The Character of MAN in the 10th Commandment

We have a very high view of ourselves - we think we deserve lots of stuff. We're selfish and proud.

We have a desire for justice - but we certainly have many skewed ideas about what justice really is. (this desire for justice is one of many apologetics for the existence of God).

We lack faith to really believe God is going to provide for us (like the Israelites trying to collect manna on the Sabbath).

We easily seek everything except God. We are easily satisfied by things that don't satsify. We move from distraction to distraction.

What have I missed - because I am sure there is much more there.

6 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Pastor Mark said...

Great thoughts on the character of God as revealed in the law. But also, as you pointed out what it leads us to know about ourselves and the character of man that God knew we would struggle with coveting. We need God - but for some strange reason we want lots of other stuff. I think mostly because it is easier and gives us brief satisfaction that fades quickly.

Great stuff Tim.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job Sunday Tim. I had a great time this weekend. Thanks for the opportunity! Sorry, this wont let me log on.
Chantell

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tracey was here...

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was fun to hear you preach on Sunday. Well done! I wish I could preach like you. I wish I was good at guitar like you. If only I could be as witty as you I'd have peace in my soul. I wish I was soft like you. I covet your money.

Loveya!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger voni said...

Danny O. Your a hoot:) I loved meeting your wife this weekend! Isn't God good!!!
Tim, So thankful for you and Lori! It was a privilege to hear your message Sunday. I'm learning that the more I learn the character of God an the more I realize who I am in light of Him the more healing and rest my soul finds. Keep pointing people towered God.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Tim said...

Oh the depths of both the wisdom and knowledge of God...... He is amazing. The more I probe, the more I think on Him, the more I realize how little I know and how much I have to learn. And how crazy that He forgives!!!!

Thanks for your encouragement. Every good gift is from Him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home