Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Wow - Conversations With Teens - breaking my heart


I recently spent a couple hours (over food) with 2 teenagers. One has recently started going being more involved in Church (don't know where this person is on salvation) and the other is not involved in church at all. I walked away from over 2 hours of conversation just in shock; sad; disheartened; almost hopeless.

They are so hurting - so broken - so far from truth - and The Truth. Their lives have been shattered by too many problems. They aren't giving up, but the solutions they are reaching for won't really help. Even if they could move in with a superb, godly family and live with them for 10 years, I still wonder if that would help. These two are just messes waiting to fall apart.

I don't doubt God's grace, power, or love, but... quite hopeless. I wish I was a poet. My mind and heart just can't express all that I'm thinking and feeling.

Jesus is the answer - but it's an essay question, not true/false. They need so much healing.

What is my response??? Renewed passion to love broken people - and to passionately preach the Word and offer the only hope we have. I need to offer them the body that was broken for us - the one who can truly feel our pain.

I could also mention that they just blabbed (told me so much more about their dark past and pain than I would have imagined they'd tell me in a year of counseling) - and I heard some sad information about kids from youth group. These seem minor right now.

My heart is broken. I am so blessed.

3 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My heart goes out to you and your friends, bro.

Their cry for rescue from slavery came up to God. And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. God saw the people of Israel--and God knew. - Exodus 2:23-25

God still hears, remembers, sees, and knows our slavery.

May His peace and grace rest on your friends.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Thanks for those verses. Our only hope for these kids is God - God moving miraculously.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Mer Stamberg said...

I know what you mean, Tim. I have felt that a lot recently as well. As we see so much apathy in our youth group, as I work with so many godless kids in the public school (whether or not they are "churched"). So many kids that would rather spend their Friday night watching Saw 3 or some other "teen movie" than doing anything worthwhile (whether or not involves other believers).

Apart from Christ it is hopeless.... But then I remember where God brought me from through so many people's prayers. I contemplate where I might be (or not be) if it hadn't been for the prayers, love, and interest that so many people showed me. And through Christ miraculous change can happen quicker than we ever thought possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home