Saturday, January 13, 2024

Playa Del Carmen, Quintana Roo Mexico Beach and Tips

I'm cheap. I like a good deal.  I prefer to avoid tourist traps and instead get to know local people and cultures.

If you want to be on the beach, you are either stuck with tourists or travel. 

I did a lot of research for our short trip to Playa Del Carmen.  I looked up lots of beach info and beach club info. 

Prices and owners change. 

The easiest answer in my mind is to just choose an area, start walking the beach, and find a spot... We payed 250 pesos for 2 chairs and an umbrella all day.  As it filled up, they charged 300 pesos.  I thought it was an amazing deal. 

Tomorrow we'll try a different spot and do the same thing.  So all my research didn't help. 

And it was a perfect and beautiful day.  Wow.  And the sand is fantastic. 

We have a boutique hotel and didn't bring towels. But we bought a Mexican blanket (whatwve6it is called) for each of us... $each. They don't dry you well, but we just let the air do that. We love them at the beach... And they'll be fun to take home. 


FOOD 
We walked away from the tourist streets and started finding all sorts of options. 

It's easy to eat a meal of 4 tacos and a pop for under $6.  Just walk a little. 

Lots of awesome street food too. 

Go for a walk.  Leave the tourist stuff behind 

Taquerias El Ñero Chemuyil was amazing, super cheap, and so worth the walk.  It's straight west of our hotel or straight west of the bus station quite a few blocks.  


ATM
They say they are best to use.  My bank is a small local bank so I don't have a free deal at any banks here.. 

If the listed exchange rate is better, they'll likely charge a higher fee. 

I tried to look around and try different ATMs but it didn't pay. 

Obviously only use legit banks. 


BARTER 
You can barter with any vendor, though a few won't give in.  

They will ever choose to lose money, but they'll often look sad and act like you ripped them off. 

On the flip side, I'm often bartering over $1 or less, and then I think, that means a lot more to them than to me. 

Wall away. Go to the next vendor. 
It's fun. 


So I'm learning. 


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home