Thursday, January 18, 2007

Grace - from a Puritan

My very favorite devotional aid (other than the Bible - but it's not an aid) is a collection of Puritan prayers/poems by Arthur Bennett. It's absolutely amazing. I came across some powerful lines today.

"Give me grace to know more of my need of grace."

"Help me to confess... with no pretense to merit or excuse."

Maybe that doesn't trip your trigger. It does mine. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it milks my cow. That's how I roll.

The Valley of Vision is put out by Banner of Truth Trust - and I've heard a few great men of God recommend it in the last few years. A couple things about the book that I really like. Each poem/prayer takes only one page. Most of the poems were written without ever knowing anyone else would read them. It's really fantastic!

I like the book so much I would consider buying someone a copy if they would like one. The only possible downside to the book is the older English - but it also adds beauty, weight, and precision to the prayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home